Friday, December 01, 2017

By The River Piedra I Sat Down and Wept



My sole thought while reading the climax of By The River Piedra I Sat Down and Wept was whether this would turn out to be a happy ending love-story or not. I was so anxious (I don't think I have even bothered that much about my own lovestory) that the words nail-biting or on the edge of my seat would have described me perfectly.




Like most of Paulo Coelho's novels, By The River Piedra I Sat Down and Wept is also about spiritual self-discovery and forgiveness, mostly about forgiving the self for the decisions it has taken, for the mistakes that it has made and the people it has hurt during this process.



But like most Coelho novels, it has too many connecting threads of thought, about individualism, life, destiny, decision-making, love and the concept of soulmate.The female character Pilar is 29 years old and Catholic. She has been through many experiences in the past and is reunited with a nameless childhood friend who has special spiritual powers.



Her search is to find true happiness and in the process understands that she longs to be with her childhood friend who is a spritual guide. He helps her discover who she is and to accept her needs as a person.





They find that they have fallen in love with each other and though they can bear separation,  they have to live together in order to understand the true nature of happiness. It is when the last page is finished and the characters decide to tie the knot that I, the poor anxious reader (whose lovestory had a botched ending anyways)  is relieved and happy! :-)




No comments:

Couple Goals

We have celebrated our days of togetherness as if each day was a special occasion, gone on adventures in the city, explored new nooks and co...